Sunday, May 22, 2011

May 22, Wild Flowers





My friend is lost for one and a half hours trying to find us. I drive to the end of Smithson and lead her back. Tony is tense. He is making fruit stuffed pork chops. He says: she's coming, she's not coming, she's coming. We have gin and tonic all around. My friend is seventy. Both knees have been replaced. She tells me she has been paralyzed with depression. This is the friend who taught me the names of some wild flowers on long hikes. The next day we ride in the pickup high into the Ponderosa Pine. She tells me the names of Arrow Leaf Balsm Root that cover the hill sides in bunches of yellow. She shows me the difference between the golden Glacier Lillies and the yellow bells. I say come back once a month. She says "it would be fun to see the progression of wild flowers all through the summer. Yes, it would. She points out the fuzzy white spikes off the Death Camus.

No comments:

Post a Comment